Sunday, July 27, 2008

My night in the ER

I went to my in-law's place on Friday to take some pictures of a new cake they're going to be selling soon. My father-in-law, Nick, and I were talking on their back patio when we heard Calvin start to cry around the corner. We took off running to see what was wrong, and I slipped on some wet rocks. It felt like a hammer hit my right knee, and I screamed (I think, I don't really remember). I could see Nick look to me, then to Calvin and back, trying to figure out who needed him more. He came to me because it turns out Calvin just wanted something he couldn't reach. I grabbed my leg and looked down, and I could see my knee cap! I thought, "There's no way I fell that hard, it didn't hurt that much...omg, that's my bone...omg, omg, omg..."

Nick helped me to the patio chair, and propped up my leg. It didn't hurt that much, but the scariest part was when I started to go into shock. My vision started going black, and my throat was closing up so it felt like I could barely breathe. My boys were terrified. Noah just hung back and observed as I clung to Nick's leg saying, "I can't see, I can't breathe, I can't see..."

As Nick called 911, I was terrified my throat would totally close up. I know now that I probably would have just passed out, then started breathing again, but at the time it literally felt like I was about to die. I could feel myself fading away, but I told myself to stay calm, and take slow, deep breaths, and tried to focus my vision because I was so scared to let everything go totally black. I could hear the 911 operator instructing Nick to cover me up, ask me questions, etc... Then, finally, I heard the distant sound of the fire truck sirens.

Luckily, by then my vision and breathing had started to come back to normal, and they didn't have to rush me to the hospital right away. But, I had a new fear...that I wouldn't be able to shoot Lindsey & Jared's wedding the next day. The firemen asked me my name, and where I was, and they cleaned and bandaged my wound. I was even able to crack a couple of jokes. They asked me if they could get me anything, and I replied, "Yeah, my makeup." These (5) firemen, I swear, looked like they came straight out of a calendar. They were all tall, buff, and tan, and I had just been working out, and had no makeup on. I was glad that I had at least shaved my legs that day. ;)

Nick called Spencer, then drove me to the hospital. My brain was still a little fuzzy. I had to think about the city I was born in to write it on the admittance form. The boys came with my mother-in-law, Judy, and I bought them treats from the vending machine to keep them occupied. I wanted to reward Noah for being so sweet to me after he pushed me in the wheelchair to the restroom.

My in-laws took the boys, and Spencer stayed with me while I got 7 stitches and X-rays. Luckily, there was no fracture, but the Dr. gave me a knee immobilizer which covers almost my entire leg.

I'm grateful to Spencer for helping me Saturday while I shot Lindsey & Jared's wedding, and to my in-laws for keeping the boys overnight, then watching them while we went to the wedding. I was sore at the wedding, but I hobbled along, and since it was at a golf club, we got to ride around in a golf cart, which helped a lot.

I'm laying low for now, hoping I don't get too far behind with my work. I appreciate your patience while I recover, but I will try to get back to everyone as quickly as I can.

~Jessica
Jessica Watson Photography

1 comment:

Erin Olnon said...

Jessica ~ I'm so sorry to hear about this! Ouch! I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better, and hope that you have a quick recovery. :)

~Erin Peinado